Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Ramblings of a school teacher

Only 20 more days to go. I am super pumped about the end being near, but I always find myself with weird feelings once the end has finally arrived. I feel like I left something on the table, like I could of done more, like I am not quite finished with these students.

The final weeks of school find me burned out and lacking patience. Behaviors I once tolerated are now unacceptable. I am easily flustered and often lost in a daydream. Sometimes I exhibit a person who I would have never wanted to be taught by. This year I am trying to slow down, de-stress,and enjoy the last weeks with my soon to be fourth graders.

The third graders have taught me a lot this year. So many of my kids have life experiences in short 8 years that I pray I never have. Yet, they are so resilient. They come to school day in day out, and they do bring their "best selves", whatever that might be. I had a principal tell me one time that parents send "their best to school." They don't just keep the good ones at home and send their ornery, rotten children. Rich, poor, sick, healthy, educated, teen mom....regardless all parents love their kids. I try to remember that as I teach my kids during the final weeks.

My class just finished one of the best books I have ever read. It came as a recommendation from friend and a colleague of mine, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. It is the story of an emotionless china rabbit that finds himself lost from his owner, a young girl named Abilene, to whom he is not loving. He loves his beautiful, expensive clothing, accessories and pristine look. Once he is distanced from her he bounces from owner to owner, home to home. It is quite an adventure and he learns much from each home. His journey forces him to open his heart, recognize the significance of relationships, and experience the roller coaster ride of life.

Teaching comes with its ups and downs, victories, and frustrations, and each year is definitely a journey. In this profession we can put up a boundary and pretend the only things that matter are the test scores. But as for me, a teacher, when I grow to know my kids, develop relationships, and see them as people who have value, I find there are so many things that I want them to know. So much that is not covered by the required state curriculum or discussed in text books. Maybe that is what I feel is sometimes "left on the table", the truly important life lessons that many of today's students do not learn at home.

8 comments:

The Lewis Family said...

Great post, Allison. I bet you are an awesome teacher!!!

Paige said...

Countdown to summer! Yay! Your kids are lucky to have you and every teacher always feels like they could have done more, that is what is cool about the job, you can always change up some stuff the next time around. Can't wait for a fun summer with y'all!

Anonymous said...

As your friend who has the honor of teaching with you every day, I can truly say you are a wonderful teacher who completely teaches the important Life Lessons to your students.

However, I CANNOT wait for next year with you!

~Abby

Alyssa and Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alyssa and Kevin said...

wow. You took the words right out of my mouth. Everyone is so excited that the end is near... but I have mixed emotions and the closer I get to it... the more anxiety I have. I'm not ready to say good bye...

Your students are lucky to have you.

Nicole said...

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY SISTER, YOU AS MY SISTER IN LAW YOUR MY BEST FRIEND AND YOUR A FANTASTIC MOTHER TO CAROLINE. GOOD JOB ALLISON,.

LOVE, NICOLE

Regina said...

You are a great teacher, it definitely takes a special person. I could never do it.

the tatsaks said...

Summer is almost here!!! You are such and amazing teacher and you students are so blessed to have you!