Monday, March 22, 2010

Living in the moment

"I need neither future nor past, but to learn to take today not too fast." ~Jeb Dickerson

I have a really tough time living in the moment. I don't think I am the only one struggling with this, I hear people talking all the time about how they can't wait for this, or when will this is over I will do ______, when I have another child, when my kids are in school, when I lose 10 pounds...you get the picture. This mind set describes me perfectly, I am always waiting or anticipating the next thing. However, lately I have been more insistent upon truly appreciating every second.

See this is how my mind works... if I am snuggling with Caroline, I'm thinking of laundry I should be doing. If I'm surfing the Internet or reading a magazine, I'm feeling guilty about putting off bible study or reading trash. When I'm working with a student in my class my mind is constantly thinking of who I should get to next. During a lesson I'm thinking how can I make this different next time. Watching football, I think, we should be better next year,right? Visiting our house in progress, I'm wondering how much longer. Enjoying a date or get away with my husband, I'm wishing I was at home with my daughter. It is always something, I'm never content with the moment, and I HATE that.

Lately, I have made a diligent effort to wrap myself up in exactly what I am doing at that moment. To forget outside distractions and purely focus on what is at hand. For example, right now we are living with my parents. All of our stuff that used to sit in a 1600 square foot home is now shoved into a 10 by 12 room. Its crowded, loud, disorganized, sometimes chaotic, but such a special time here. We will most likely never all reside under the same roof again and I'm trying to enjoy every moment. There is nothing better than seeing your child relishing the company of her grandparents, and her grandparents enjoying it just the same.


Same thing with my students at school, I just keep thinking lets get through TAKS. However, with this mindset I am wasting 2/3rds of the school year. What could I be doing with them that I'm not all because of a state assessment?

Most importantly I am trying to slow down (not my personality at all) and savor those moments when Caroline just wants to rock, or build a block castle, or swing all afternoon. You know she is only going to want my company for a limited amount of time, these moments will not last forever. Soon I will become annoying and invading to her. I want to embrace and cherish this point in time in which I am the coolest person ever!


This is a quote from one of my favorite children's books, The Three Questions, that pretty much wraps up what I am trying to say,

"Remember then that there is only one important time, and that time is now. The most important one is always the one you are with. And the most important thing is to do good for the one who is standing at your side. This is why we are here. " Jon. J Muth

9 comments:

Paige said...

Well said. I can be like that sometimes too, I think we all can.

Summer said...

i completely agree! i am the exact same way and have been trying to work on it too. much easier said than done though!!

ChelseaSalomone said...

Awesome post. I am like that too, and I really need to be better about it.

Shaver_Girl said...

Loved this post! This was my new year's resolution and reading your post helps to re-establish it!

Cary Zepernick said...

Allison! What an amazing post.. so true. Pretty much every example from football to teaching I can totally relate.

ChelseaSalomone said...

Thanks- they are from Francesca's.

Abby Batlle said...

what a good post! i completely know what you mean. it seems like we're always wishing for the next part! i wish it was friday. summer. 3:20.

the tatsaks said...

Allison, I SO SO SO feel you!!! I do the same thing all the time! It is such a hard habit to break but one I am working on as well! Great post and you are doing a great job!

The Boyds said...

Hi Allison, I stumbled across your blog today and just had to comment on this post. Very well said....after I read it, I turned off the computer and went to go read to my boys...thank you for the reminder :)